Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

Most people think of their home as a sanctuary away from the cares of the world. To me it was a non-nurturing atmosphere ridden with verbal abuse, alcoholism and sadness. Life had already taken its toll on me. I was a very emotionally fragile child. In spite of this malady, there was a spiritual sanctuary co-existing in my life that was a source of protection, a home like feeling of belonging that took me through my youth to adulthood. It was my childhood hide-away. Years have gone by and I can still capture those days in my dreams or wanderings of my mind. It was the world of spiritual music.

As a member of the choir I was enthralled by the beautiful music. It was as if I was transcended to realms beyond my everyday being.

My soul felt uplifted, and my spirit was touched by the beautiful compositions being sung and brought to life by the singers who surrounded me. There were tears in my eyes as the words and music came to an end. I had savored a taste of my true home. I needed no other.

Once back to my life of exile in this earthy existence, I felt renewed with strength. Strength to continue on my journey, knowing I could always enter that beautiful place. It would always be there for me.

No comments: