Sunday, October 28, 2007

Coffee Shop

Squeezed in between the theater and the clothing store was the Mayflower Coffee Shop. I decided to stop in for old time’s sake. Painted on the door was the familiar amusing slogan:

As you ramble on through life brother,
No matter what your goal
Keep your eye upon the donut
And not upon the hole

Always a people watcher, I took a booth by the window. This was an opportunity to watch both outside pedestrians and the coffee shop customers. It was fun to imagine who they really were and create a scenario about them.

Entering the shop was a tall young man with black curly hair and a short blonde haired girl walking close behind him. They took the only table left. It was right in front of me. Ordering coffee the young man was tapping his fingers to a song. The girl with an adoring look kept her eyes focused completely on him. Feeling the emotion of their gazes, I sighed. Daydreaming I was transported to that same booth years ago. Time stood still…I heard the tapping of a song. Looking up into the face of my beloved, I smiled adoringly.

No comments: