Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Gentleman

I’ve seen him on the bus every morning five days a week on my way to an office building downtown. He boards the bus at the 40th Street Stop, cheerful and nodding to the regular riders that are seated. Flashing a beautiful wide smile and twinkling blue eyes he takes a seat across the aisle from me. I smell a faint scent of Drakar men’s cologne. I notice he is tall. Neither fat nor thin, but muscular built. In a few more stops there will be standing room only for those who live closer to the downtown destination, obliterating my view of him.

His clothing adapts to the seasons. He is wearing a conservative, light weight beige suit. sporting a pastel colored shirt and tie to match a summer ensemble. He has begun a conversation with the lady seated next to him. She is very animated with graceful hands showing him a book she is reading. He appears interested in what she is saying. I try to listen to their conversation along with the usual bus chatter but have trouble hearing any thing being said that would be of importance.

I first noticed him about a year ago in the winter, wearing galoshes, gloves and a top coat.
It was right after Christmas. He was limping and had a cane to support him as he boarded the bus. He would wince in pain as he sat down, holding the steel bar in front of him for support, I wanted to comfort him, to know his story. This beautiful, gentle looking man endeared himself to me through the coming seasons. His appearance began to change and come alive in the spring. Walking, unaided by his always present cane, his demeanor was brighter and the beautiful smile began to appear. He brought joy to my heart.

Coming to the final downtown destination of the downtown bus exit, I stepped off the bus and onto the curb of the sidewalk, turning to walk towards my building. I heard, “Wait, lady, you forgot your bag”! I turned around…It was the smiling gentleman

No comments: